Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default Where to find replacement asbestos siding

Steve wrote on 08 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Ray K wrote in news:3u20i.2185$V01.191
@newsfe12.lga:

I just posted a photo in alt.binaries.test. Subject: Sample asbestos
shingle. Time 1:28, 5/8/2007. I should have mentioned that all the
shingles needing replacement are in the bottom course. (Careless
lawn maintenance people and landscapers.) They are mainly chipped,
like you see in the photo at the left bottom corner.

I recommend that you run a piece of 1x4 along the bottom. That's my
standard solution for clients who don't like the cost of replacing
siding. If the wood is properly primed, caulked, and painted, it will
last for years, though not as long as cementitious shingles. When if
fails, it's easy to replace. Use cedar with the smooth side out for
longer life.

Here I go following up to my own post.

I mentioned this to my dad over the weekend. He has a house with asbestos
siding.

His solution: Remove the chipped shingle, turn it over, drill new holes,
and nail it back on. The chipped edge will be hidden by the course above.