Posted to rec.woodworking
videoguy videoguy is offline

Default Electical question

"rolsonDesign" wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently constructed a built-in desk and bookshelf in my upstairs
loft.

[snip]

Opinions? I'm probably breaking major building codes doing that too.

"efgh" wrote in message

Does this not become a junction box in this scenario? If so, I always
thought that they need to be easily accessed.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have blocked access to a junction
box by constructing the bookshelves over the junction box. If this is what
you have done, then the lack of a cover plate is only part of the problem.

The National Electrical Code requires ALL splices be forever accessible. If
you are required to remove building "finish" materials to gain access to
splices, that does not meet he definition of accessibility.
Secondly, if you sell the house, how will the next owner have any idea where
to look for this splice? Splices do occassionally need attention.

If you've made a decent splice, the lack of a cover in this case is probably
not a safety issue as NO ONE is likely to accidently touch ANY of these
wires.

Gary Kasten
Licensed Electrical Contractor
Kasten Electric Company