Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default What wiring codes say about these wires?

We were on a job with an annoying boom box once. The superintendent
kicked it down an elevator shaft.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 18:50:59 GMT, "Tom Horne, Electrician"
wrote:

Doug
I will admit to having done that 480/277 208/120 volt mix up on purpose
on one job. The Terrazzo tile guys had a boom box that was so large and
so heavy that it needed it's own cart to bring it on the job. They were
asked several times to turn down the radio and they would not. So over
night a double pole, double throw switch was set up to the one outlet
they were using and their radio emitted a very brief loud shriek. The
the switch was thrown back to the 120 volt position immediately and it's
interlock cover was locked. They complained very loudly but they had
been warned repeatedly that the building outlets had not been excepted
by the GC yet and were not available for use. They just hadn't gone to
the trouble of stretching out an extension cord. Scratch one huge boom box.