Posted to alt.home.repair
crabshell crabshell is offline

Default Tile do-it-yourself project

I've taken on a lot of projects thinking "how hard can that be" only to get
into some quagmires...

I'm thinking about doing my own porcelain tile installation. The room is
220 sq ft with a concrete floor. The concrete still has some thick tar-
like residue from an old carpet install. The concrete is generally level
however there are a couple of places (3' x 1' max) up against the wall
where the original cement didn't fill to make a perfectly smooth / level
surface (it was formerly a breezeway -- it's not a real foundation -- just
poured concrete comparable to a garage floor).

1) How clean does the floor have to be?

2) If I use self leveling compound, will that fill the spaces in the cement
that are not smooth?

3) How hard can it be? I'm detail oriented so I have no fear of doing
precise work. I just want the floor to look perfectly smooth and
professional when it's all said and done.

Thanks for any advice or insight.