Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Looking a house .... with strong smoke odor

Art Todesco wrote:
We are looking for a new house. In the last few days we found a real nice
log home that fits our needs almost perfectly with the one exception of a
fairly strong smoking smell. I thought that if we make an offer, it would
be accompanied by a complete list of "cleaning", such as all carpets
extraction
or steam cleaned, all walls, ceilings and floors, all doors and
woodwork. And
all fabric cleaned. My question is, are we kidding ourselves? Can the
smell be
eliminated? Any ideas if this can be accomplished successfully? BTW,
several
walls are wood (the inside of the logs). Also, how about the insides of
the
HVAC ducts and system?
Any personal experience with this?
Thanks.

Depends how much the smokers trashed the place. Call a company that
specializes in fire damage restoration and get their opinion.