Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Unpainted Cedar Clapboards: "Safe" ?

On May 15, 6:38 am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Live in the Boston area.

Will be having pre-primed Cedar clapboards (the typical horizontal board
type) put up on my house that is being re-modeled.

Contractors, being contractors, I am a bit concerned that the job will run
into the early Fall by the time it is completed, and ready for painting.

Would appreciate opinions on the following:

a. how "safe" is it to leave the clapboards in the pre-primed, Unpainted,
condition thru the winter, and have them painted in the Spring, if necessary
?

b. Just out of curiosity, would the answer be any different if they were
not pre-primed, and just the bare Cedar ?

Basically agree w/ Doug except as much or even more than just dirt is
the oxidation and weathering of the primer before the topcoat is
applied. Not as severe in the winter as summer, but still not a good
idea. I expect if you look at the manufacturer's information for the
product they will have a time frame for getting them painted.
Typically it would be 90 days or less.