Posted to alt.home.repair
A. Learner A. Learner is offline

Default Mystery Leftover Material - Please Help Identify

Smitty Two wrote:

Decomposed granite ("stone dust", which looks more or less like coarse
sand, when mixed with water and tamped down firmly, will dry to form a
fairly hard surface. But it will soften again once it gets wet. Cement
(or concrete, which contains cement) should harden and stay hard,
although as mentioned in another thread, old cement may not harden.
Decomposed granite won't dissolve in water, though, so when you say it
"disintegrates" in water, if you mean dissolve, then it isn't DG.

When I said "disintegrated", I meant that the grains broke down (in hot
water) into fine particles to form a darker, muddy paste. I don't think
they dissolved.