Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default And now - something completely different.

On Mon, 14 May 2007 16:48:20 -0700, charlieb
wrote:

Ear plugs are sized using "gauges". Stopped by a piercing "studio" today
to find out what that means - in inches (or millimeters, the DOMINO has
got me thinking mm too). For some inexplicable reason they use WIRE
GAUGE sizes. The sample chart on the wall only went up to "0" gauge
which is apparently something like 0.367". The kid I turned a pair for
had 0.505 0.497 0.515 inch ones so I guess they go bigger maybe to
"000" gauge (smaller the number the LARGER the diameter - unlike
steel wool).

If you take a look in National Geographic in the right month, you'll
see those things get *much* larger than that.

Oh - the prices - wait for it - $40 to $80 a pair!

Yep. If I were you, I'd go for it. Not too many folks like that in
my area (3000 people in town), but in California, you may have found a
good niche!

Think I just might see about paying for some new tools by making
and selling some of these things. Didn't see any of them with
holes through the middle in the shop I stopped in at. If you've
got a big hole in your ear why not have a hole in the ear plug - just
to show you "ain't no poser".

They are fun to turn and great practice with a 1/2" skew.
(sure is a handy turning tool).

I like the idea of getting a picture of the wearers to document
where my "pieces" go.

Fun this woodworking thing. So many paths to explore.

charlie b