Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Video/ audio distribution part 2

In article . com,
writes
On 14 May, 01:19, Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 14 May 2007 00:49:14 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
mused:

In article ,
Lurch wrote:
Performance benefits, cat7 is designed for AV systems apparantly. It's
similar in characteristics to cat6, but has additional shielding.

I've no real idea how they send vision over these cables but if it's done
properly and balanced the sheilding shouldn't matter much for domestic
runs. I saw demonstrations of video sent round a large site using old
twisted pair audio multi-core and it worked very well.

I've used twisted pair (cat5e) on 250m runs for sending 3 CCTV video
signals down one cable on 3 pairs and the results have been spot on.
Some people have complained of problems with doing this. I think it
depends, as you say, on baluns and to an extent, the cable. Cat7 is
designed to eliminate the problems with multiple frequencies down a
shared multicore, but for the most part cat6 would perform just as
well.

For a single signal\frequency with decent baluns then I can't see
there being much of a problem using just about any twisted pair, cat3
phone cable would do.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

May be a dumb question but what are baluns?

In my setup, I would have thought that the longest run from the "comms
room" would be 50m at the max (by the time you go up over and down
again). Also, if I work on running one set of wires (cat x, sat etc)
to each room from the central hub, can I chain more than one socket in
each room? It would be unlikely that I would use more than one socket
in a particular room but thought if I had 2 or 3 sockets per room it
would deal with future layout changes?

This is all very helpful

thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balun