Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Tips on finishing sycamore and oak

Hi Dick

The American Sycamore grows from Maine then west into Quebec, South
western Ontario,lower half of Michigan and into Nebraska, down all the
way into eastern Texas and east to northern Florida and up to Maine
again, it has the biggest native hardwood trunk diameter, like 11',
some were nearly 15'.

There are also some in N.E. Mexico.

Don't think any grows in George Tokarev's area

I have turned some, and was finishing a smaller (10") and slightly
spalted one just today, I used pure tung oil on it, It is not a open
grain wood, and it doesn't have an absorbing problem like Walnut or
Oak might give you, tung can be polished to shine if wanted, also pure
Tung does not yellow much.

For Oak or other open grain wood sealing them first does help to
lessen the oil absorption and subsequent bleeding.

Here's some pictures of Sycamore turning.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On May 14, 12:56 pm, Olebiker wrote:
I have come into possesion of a couple of sycamore logs and have
started roughing out some bowls. I have never used sycamore before,
and it will be a while before the bowls are dry enough to turn to
final shape and finish, but I thought I would check to see what folks
have used successfully to finish sycamore.

I don't want a really glossy finish like lacquer. I have a Beall
buffing system. I used Deft on an oak bowl and then polished it, but
the end grain is much darker than the side grain. Should I have used
some sort of a sealer before applying the Deft?

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee