Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Help installing new bath spout copper tube from wall cut too short!

On May 14, 9:53 am, vic wrote:
I replaced a bath tub spout with a Danco spout made to replace the old
Moen spout.

I made a big mistake by cutting the 1/2" copper nub coming out of the
wall to less than the minimum called for. The minimum length of the
copper tube distance from the wall was 1.5", I cut it to 1". This
resulted in water coming out of the back of the spout when I use the
shower diverter on the spout.

As I see it I now have two options to fix the problem

1 to remove tile and cut through the backer board remove and replace
the copper nub by soldering a longer copper tube to replace the
shorter one

2 cut out a piece of plasterboard behind the plumbing to gain access
to the back of the plumbing and remove and resolder a longer copper
pipe

My questions:

What's the easier option 1 or 2 ??

Am I missing another option that would be simpler?? (NOTE I can't
solder a coupling and a copper tube section to extend the copper tube
from the wall as the coupling would interfere with the spout
installation, not making it flush to the tile)
Thanks for your help!

Of those two options if the backside wall is just wallboard and paint
(as in not papered or other surface) that is far simpler than the tile
route most likely. OTOH, _IF_ (the big if ) you can remove the
existing tile w/o breaking it, you could reuse it and there would be
no noticeable repair area if you're very careful about cleaning up and
realigning everything when you put it back.

Other than the slip coupling no great ideas other than what is suppose
to be on the end of the copper to mate? Not seen a spout that would
expect just a stub piece of 1/2" copper as the mating surface against
the inner gasket as that is a sharp and very narrow/thin edge which
doesn't make much of a seal endwise -- or is there an o-ring around
the outer diameter on the inside of the spout that's the seal? That
seems pretty minimal seal for the water pressure when the diverter
valve is closed, though...can't envision the connection to know what
would be a workaround...