Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin'  Man is offline

Default Leaking Drain pine in the Wall ???

On 14 May 2007 16:58:17 GMT, BMzx wrote:

My kithcen sink drain pipe is leaking into my cellar. The only way I see
to fix it is to take out the kitcen cabinets and open up the wall.

Removing the kitcen cab's is likely the -last- approach you wanna take.
If it is an interior wall you might wanna go thru the other side, but ...

Maybe
go thru the cellar cealing? any suggestions. I suppolse there is no
miricle fix for this.

No magic wand. No.

How old is the house/kitchen? Original plumbing? Cast iron
vent stacks? Copper water pipes?

You need to familiarize yourself with your drain/vent plumbing.
From that and the age of the kitchen, get in idea of what needs
to be replaced. Take measurements, determine if -all- the drain
is inside the portion of the wall supporting the cab's.

Etc, etc.

I had the same problem last year. There was some access under the sink,
the drain coupled with a vent stack about a foot clear of the cab's.
All I had to do was cut a 4" x 14" hole in the wall (behind the
range) to replace copper drain with PVC and rubber couplers.

Figger what's likely inside the wall and how you might gain access
to it. Then render more info and ask more questions.

Cheers,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller