Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Need advice on coaxial cable for home re-wire

cottonchipper wrote:
I'm planning on rewiring my home to upgrade the coaxial cable running
from where the cable comes into the house and splits, to the various
rooms we have TV's in. The longest run will probably be less than
100
feet, with most around 50 feet. I'll be running it through the attic
and pulling it down the walls where there are already outlets.
Currently we receive digital cable through a converter box on each
TV,
but I'd like to use something that will be good enough for HDTV when
it becomes available in our area. Does anyone have any
recommendations as far as the best coaxial cable for the job, or
characteristics I should look for?

Quad shield RG6 is what you need for coax.

As the other fellow mentioned, if you are going up to the attic
and pulling cable anyway, add in CAT 6, not CAT 5. The labor is
the worst part. If you are doing the labor, do it only once.

Think about the multi cable stuff. It contains CAT, coax and fibre optic.
Use that and have only one thing to pull and run, but you have all options
for the future.

I did my house about 8 years ago with two runs of CAT 5, one for network
(blue jacket),
one for phones (yellow jacket) and one run of coax; home runned them to
patch panels
I built in a lower level family room storage closet. If I had any sense
then I would
have run fiber optic at the same time. The stuff just wasn't on the
horizon then.