Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default What wiring codes say about these wires?

On Sun, 13 May 2007 12:43:02 -0500, clifto wrote:

Joseph wrote:
I forgot to mention, here are the pictures of the wires, I suspect
Red=120V and black=Ground, white=Neutral? What the other one for? I
have auto-ranging digital multimeter that can do AC measurements. I
should just measure across Red & Black to see what I get?

Ground is green. From an old article title, "black is hot and white is
not (and vice is often versa)". I never found rules for other colors,
but in my experience I've found a lot of switched hot wires used red.

When I put up ceiling fans, I found they had blue wires. There were
hot wires for the light kit, allowing wiring to separate switches.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy