Posted to alt.home.repair
MaxMaxwell MaxMaxwell is offline

Default Telephone problems - Help/Advice PLEASE

Roy Starrin wrote:
Was suddenly contronted with the Sunday a.m. and can't find
appropriate forum to address it. Verizon is of little/no help, except
to say they will send a tech out on Friday the 18th.
Situation:
1.No dial tone; unable to place outgoing calls
2. All incoming calls are diverted to VZ provided Voice Mail box,
where they are available for retrieval if I use a second off- premises
phone and call in using VZ's procedures.
3. My DSL works fine. It is not a home run from NID to PC, but is
simply picked up out of the wall.

Factors bearing on the problem:
1. Have checked out 2 telephones by taking to neighbors house.
Using either one, plugged directly into the NID, situations 1 and 2
remain unchanged
3. Have unplugged, house from NID. Situation 2 remains unchanged.

Was sort of hoping there was a lineman out there who could provide
some advice. If anyone is aware of a better forum in which I might
seek advice on this, I would appreciate it.
FWIW, talked to a long retired VZ tech yesterday, and he says problem
is their, not mine; that there is probably a short/open somewhere off
premises that they will have to track down, and that sending tech here
won't help, except to confirm what I am telling them. (He also added
that it may suddenly myseteriously disappear, and that everyone will
shrug their shoulders and never admit who flipped the proper switch
somewhere in their system)
Live a couple of blocks from the C.O. Am going to try and talk my way
in there today to see if I can get them to help.
TIA for any help

short somewhere