Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson Brian Henderson is offline

Default Organizing CD's and DVD's in drawers

On Sun, 13 May 2007 22:16:53 -0500, HerHusband
wrote:

Yeah, I suppose the simplest approach would be a series of spacers, whether
those be empty cases, wood spacers, or something similar. I actually do
that with my current entertainment center using old cassette tapes. But,
it would be nice to find a more elegant solution.

The way I ended up doing it on my CD cases and it works fine, is to
take some of the long metal shelf standards like these:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...2WT&lpage=none

I routed a dado down the length of each shelf and installed the
standard so that it was level with the rest of the shelf. Since
everything is black, it's difficult to see if you're not looking for
it and once the shelf is full, it's completely invisible. I made a
wooden end piece with a flat metal post underneath that fits into the
track and you can move it along the holes as you get more CDs. When
you fill the shelf, remove the end and move it down to the next shelf
to continue filling.

It also does a lot to strengthen the shelves. CDs aren't all that
heavy but you get absolutely no deflection whatsoever. I wish I had
thought about that before I did my first DVD case.