Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical installation tubes

"Pygmalion" wrote in message
oups.com...

I have recently moved into a brand new appartment. I was amazed to
find out that every room is equipped with only one UTP and one
coaxial cable - I think two UTP cables would be much more usual these
days. Cables are layed into installation tubes of 18 mm diameter. I
have two questions:

- Is one UTP and one coaxial cable per room normal, or am I eligible
to request cable update from the construction company?

- Since cables are layed into installation tubes, should cables be
replaceable? The problem is that installation tubes already hold
cables when they were installed, so there is a great possibility that
cables couldn't be replaced. And if cables are not replaceable, what
to do? Request a whole new installation from the construction
company?

Thanks for the answer.

Marko

Consider yourself lucky to have wiring in every room. Communications lines
are under the jurisdiction of the FCC. They have recommendations for what
the current standards should be, but as far as I know they are not
enforceable standards by the local building department. Since the existing
wiring is in conduit (I am assuming that is what you meant by "Tubes") it
may be possible to pull additional wiring in them, but that depends on the
size of the conduit and if they actually go the whole length of the wiring
run. I think some builders and owners are installing more wiring to make it
appealing to a buyer or tenant while others still go the cheapest way
possible.