Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Organizing CD's and DVD's in drawers

Dave,

This does not respond to your question directly but may be of use. I
recently completed an entertainment center and bought hardware for cds
storage. These came from Lee Valley. It was not until the project
was done that I realized it was impossible to view the titles of the
CDs. The racks hold the CDs with the title edge vertical; several
rows of CDs and ......you see the problem.

I've seen several ready-made dividers at places like Rockler, but they all
seemed to leave a lot of space between the CD's. I could probably fit
another 2-4 CD's in the space they waste. In addition, they don't
exactly fit the out-of-sight when not needed requirement.

I don't know if it would work, but I had an idea last night of lining the
drawer with a thin steel sheet (painted black probably). Then I could make
a simple wooden divider with a magnet on the bottom. Easy to move and
position wherever I need it, and easily removeable when I don't need it.

I also thought about insetting one of those T-track bars in the drawer
bottom (or an insert I could set in the drawer), and building a simple
fence that could be moved and tightened in place with a knob. This would
probably work great for partial rows, but I thought I might run into
problems when the row was mostly full and there wasn't room for the fence
at the end.

The more I think about it, a simple system of fillers seems a lot more
inviting.

Anthony