Patrick C.

Default Need help wiring single phase motor

I picked up a single phase motor at a surplus shop and can't get it to
work correctly. It's a Bodine 120v, 1/3 hp gear motor, and does not
have the start or run capacitors included. The model number isn't
listed on Bodine's site so I'm guessing it's an old one or a special
application model. It has four leads- white, red, blue, and ground.
The brief 'instructions' from the surplus shop say to wire it "White
to AC, Blue to Capacitor, Red to AC and Capacitor", but when I did
this it only turned about 1/6 the listed speed. Can anyone tell what
I'm doing wrong? Should the AC and motor leads go to the opposite
sides of the capacitor? Thanks for any help.