Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Attention Michael Terrell - a question maybe ...

"Steve" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 May 2007 04:46:25 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote:

Hi James. I have had a quick look in Google images, but typically, there
is
no picture that shows what I am referring to. However, I have been
assured
by Michael T that they are installed the same all over the states, and
Michael K says above that they are the same all over Florida at least. I
have for sure seen them in Fl, Colorado, Ca and Nevada. I am referring
the large ( a good foot or so I am guessing ?? ) loop that is made in
the
supply cable on either side of each traffic light set, and which appears
be fixed ( taped ? ty-wrapped ? wire-wrapped ? ) to the catenary
suspension
wire. Always very neatly done from what I can see. We don't have lights
suspended over intersections in this way here in the UK, so I have no
idea
from personal experience, of the exact reason for them.

I will try to get some usable pictures the next time I'm out. I want
one of a failing red LED light near here, anyway.

I think this is what you're referring to, maybe...

http://www.aaroadtrips.com/ohio/wate...ffic_light.jpg

I've seen them coiled here in TX too.
Steve

Yep - that's the loop ok. But curiouser and curiouser as they say ... Those
lights only have the loop on one side, and it's the opposite side of each
one so that the cable run between the two lights is virtually direct. I
wonder what the significance of that is ? I'm really looking forward to
James getting a definitive answer from his uncle on this one.

Arfa