Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Qualalac

On May 13, 11:39 am, "William Noble" wrote:
you don't need to clean a spray gun after using laquer if you just dedicate
a spare gun to clear laquer only - if it gets plugged up, just spray a
litthe thnner through it and continue - I've used the same gun for about 6
years, always keep laquer in it, only had to clean it once in that time

I have heard of this, but never tried it. I know for me, I don't want
(or have the dough!) a $300+ gun dedicated to one finish. My work
requires that I spray too many types of finish, so I am used to
cleaning them, sometimes a few times a day . But I DO keep a
different gun for water borne and solvent coatings.

And even though I shoot a lot of lacquer, my formulas for retarding
and thinning are different (similar) for every type of weather. I
don't want to pick up a gun and load it if I has anything other than
the mix I am spraying for the day. For me it is easier to start with
a completely clean slate than a pretty clean one.

When I have a full day of spraying, one trick I learned (really
frowned on by the product reps) is to put about 1/2" of the
appropriate thinner in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and snap the
lid on between coats. It keeps the area around the aircaps ready to
go and prevents any drying of the coating.

Robert