Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Organizing CD's and DVD's in drawers

On Sun, 13 May 2007 13:03:06 -0500, HerHusband
wrote:

I'm planning to build a new entertainment center to accomodate a large
screen TV. One of the details I'm looking at now are the drawers I'll be
storing our CD's and DVD's in.

Because of the depth of the cabinet, the disk cases will stand on edge in
rows running front to back. Everything is fine and dandy when the drawer is
filled to capacity, but I'm looking for ways to keep a partial row of disks
from toppling over as the drawer is opened and closed.

DIY Network is running hatcheted reruns of The New Yankee Workshop,
and among the Season 13 offerings (the only season they have,
apparently) is a CD storage case. Fortunately, they've left enough of
the original intact to give you an idea of how he did his. I think the
episode has a couple more airings this week (13 May 2007).

It's a pretty elegant system. In the drawer itself, sized to a
slightly greater width than a standard CD jewel case, he has two small
rails let into the sides of the case, approximately 1" above the
bottom. The rails support the CDs, so the vertical dimension of the
case will have to be sized to include the space below the CDs.

There is a piece of wood on the bottom which runs from front to within
about 3/8" of the back panel, and is shaped like a dove tail (widest
part on top).

Then a piece of ply (Baltic birch would be great), about 1/4" thick,
with a notch cut out of the bottom slightly larger than the dovetail
shaped board in the drawer, and two notches on each side to clear the
rails is used as a back stop.

It's function is that when held straight up and down it slides back
and forth easily over the dovetail strip and along the rails. When it
is tilted back (as with a partial drawer of CDs leaning against it)
the dovetail slot jams along the sides of the dovetail strip and
prevents movement.

The gap at the back of the drawer is so you can insert and remove the
sliding panel after the drawer is assembled.

That may not be particularly clear, but if you see it in action on
DIY, it will be.

Good luck.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.