Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lurch Lurch is offline

Default Video/ audio distribution part 2

On 13 May 2007 09:53:20 -0700, mused:

On 13 May, 10:31, Lurch wrote:
On 13 May 2007 01:53:13 -0700, mused:

Thanks for the reply. In my case, we are about to embark on a major
renovation so I want to run the cable now to cover my bases as running
it afterwards will be a pain. My friend ended up running 3 x CAT5, 1
x Coax and 1 x phone to each major room to cover

CAT 5 - network

Cat5e.

CAT 5 - video/ audio distribution

I'd use cat7, or cat6, for AV distribution. This does need to be
installed properly though, it is less forgiving of dodgy installatio
than cat5\e.

CAT 5 - spare

Wouldn't hurt.

Coax - normal terrestrial TV

I'd run 2, while I was at it.

Phone - one cable supporting 2 lines.

This is a debateable one, I'd probably run a minimum of 2 cat5e cables
to each point and use LJAU's at the outlets.

--
Regards,
Stuart.

I had read that cat 6 was much more expensive and wouldn't give many
benefits?

For an ethernet network, correct. For sending AV round the house
though, cat5e would do, but wouldn't be fantastic. I'd prefer to see
cat6. All of the units I've looked at have used\recommended the use of
cat6 for the cabling.

Also, I hadn't heard of cat7 until now? Is the cost
benefit there?

Performance benefits, cat7 is designed for AV systems apparantly. It's
similar in characteristics to cat6, but has additional shielding.
--
Regards,
Stuart.