Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Garden Fence Posts Distance

In article ,
samson wrote:
I'm building a garden fence about 50 feet by
50 feet. I'm setting 8 foot 4X4s two feet deep
in cement. And then I'm using 2in by 2 inch wire
fencing to keep the rabbits out.

About how far apart should the posts be to keep
the fence upright and tight? 10 feet apart looks
about right, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Thanks,

S.

If all you want to do is put up chicken wire to keep out rabbits,
you might consider steel T posts that can be simply driven into the
ground. 4X4s set in concrete is kind of overkill for chicken or rodent
wire. OTOH, if you might someday install pre-made fence sections onto
the posts, set them on 8 foot centers. I would recommend NOT using
concrete around the posts. PT 4X4s can be set directly in the ground
and will last decades.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.