Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Video/ audio distribution part 2

On 13 May 2007 01:53:13 -0700, wrote:

|!On 13 May, 08:17, Dave Fawthrop
|!wrote:
|! On 12 May 2007 23:43:45 -0700, wrote:
|!
|! |!Hi All,
|! |!
|! |!Firstly, I would like to thank you all for the great information you
|! |!posted on this topic.
|! |!
|! |!After a lot of research into this, a friend of mine put in a system
|! |!for video/ audio distribution a couple of years ago which made me
|! |!think that I may have been approaching this problem from the wrong
|! |!direction. I have been considering how many locations I want to view
|! |!video/ audio and how do I get everything to an end device at these
|! |!locations such that they can all work concurrently. What he did was
|! |!locate his standard equipment (dvd player, PC, CD player, video etc)
|! |!in a central location and consider how many people will want to watch
|! |!a different DVD (for example) at the same time. Then simply buy that
|! |!number of DVD players. Maybe not the best example as I am looking to
|! |!store the DVDs centrally so you don't have to go into the cupboard to
|! |!change them but it shows the principle.
|! |!
|! |!Everything is then distributed via CAT 5 cable (apparently you can buy
|! |!a sort of video/ audio router for this) and controlled via radio
|! |!remote controls.
|!
|! Designing a system for what *you*, want before doing anything on the ground
|! is always a *very* good idea. Your plan all depends how easy it would be
|! to run more cable/coax round *your* house.
|!
|! Having gone to no end of trouble running CT100 coax around the house for
|! DTT and then found that people want to arrange their rooms in a different
|! way, so the CT100 should end up in a different place. Then in the near
|! future I expect to fit a quad LNB to my Sky dish and run *another* set of
|! cables round the house for generic/freesatfromsky boxes I would not run a
|! *third* set of cables round my house. I have decided that when our many
|! VCRs reach the end of their lives, I will fit R/W DVD players/recorders in
|! every room and just swap the R/W DVDs around between the players as we do
|! with Video cassettes.

|!Thanks for the reply. In my case, we are about to embark on a major
|!renovation so I want to run the cable now to cover my bases as running
|!it afterwards will be a pain. My friend ended up running 3 x CAT5, 1
|!x Coax and 1 x phone to each major room to cover
|!
|!CAT 5 - network
|!CAT 5 - video/ audio distribution
|!CAT 5 - spare
|!Coax - normal terrestrial TV

If you are installing trunking initially a spare CT100 coax for Sat TV
might be a good idea. Depends if you have a good view of Astra and/or a
good view of the transmitter for DTT, after analogue switch off.

--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg