Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default Video/ audio distribution part 2

On 12 May 2007 23:43:45 -0700, wrote:

|!Hi All,
|!
|!Firstly, I would like to thank you all for the great information you
|!posted on this topic.
|!
|!After a lot of research into this, a friend of mine put in a system
|!for video/ audio distribution a couple of years ago which made me
|!think that I may have been approaching this problem from the wrong
|!direction. I have been considering how many locations I want to view
|!video/ audio and how do I get everything to an end device at these
|!locations such that they can all work concurrently. What he did was
|!locate his standard equipment (dvd player, PC, CD player, video etc)
|!in a central location and consider how many people will want to watch
|!a different DVD (for example) at the same time. Then simply buy that
|!number of DVD players. Maybe not the best example as I am looking to
|!store the DVDs centrally so you don't have to go into the cupboard to
|!change them but it shows the principle.
|!
|!Everything is then distributed via CAT 5 cable (apparently you can buy
|!a sort of video/ audio router for this) and controlled via radio
|!remote controls.

Designing a system for what *you*, want before doing anything on the ground
is always a *very* good idea. Your plan all depends how easy it would be
to run more cable/coax round *your* house.

Having gone to no end of trouble running CT100 coax around the house for
DTT and then found that people want to arrange their rooms in a different
way, so the CT100 should end up in a different place. Then in the near
future I expect to fit a quad LNB to my Sky dish and run *another* set of
cables round the house for generic/freesatfromsky boxes I would not run a
*third* set of cables round my house. I have decided that when our many
VCRs reach the end of their lives, I will fit R/W DVD players/recorders in
every room and just swap the R/W DVDs around between the players as we do
with Video cassettes.
--
Dave Fawthrop sf hyphenologist.co.uk 165 *Free* SF ebooks.
165 Sci Fi books on CDROM, from Project Gutenberg