Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Attention Michael Terrell - a question maybe ...

OK then. Michael has already come back to me off-group with some useful
insights, but any others are of course appreciated. On one of my recent
visits to Florida, someone else in the car asked me the reasons for the
large cable loops either side of traffic lights which are suspended
across junctions on catenary wires rather than gantry or 'fishing pole'
mounts.

I guessed perhaps drip loops, sophisticated strain relief, or maybe to
allow for cable breakage rewires, but I had to admit that I did not
really know, and that I would try to find out when I got back. So, does
anyone know for sure, or is it just that it's the way it's always been
done, and the real reasons are now just lost in signal repairman
tradition ?

Arfa

Do you have a picture showing exactly what you're referring to? My uncle
installs and maintains these things for a living so I can get a sure answer
from him assuming they're the same way in the opposite corner of the
country.

I do know that we've been phasing out our spanwire installations over the
years in favor of rigid mast arms.