Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Garden Fence Posts Distance

On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:11:40 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

samson wrote:

I'm building a garden fence about 50 feet by
50 feet. I'm setting 8 foot 4X4s two feet deep
in cement. And then I'm using 2in by 2 inch wire
fencing to keep the rabbits out.

You sure 2x2 wire fence is going to keep rabbits?

As I remember, it took 1" chicken wire to protect shrubs.

Lew

10 foot is probably OK for 2x2 wire fence, but I agree with Lew, you
want 1" mesh for rabbits. Chicken wire works, but will never work
with 10 or even 8 foot spacing. I doubt even hardware cloth will look
good with that spacing. The make special rabbit fence that has 1"
spacing for the first foot or two, and then 2" spacing above that.
Don't have any experience with it so I don't know if would span 10'.

One option you could consider if you don't want to space your posts
closer is to use a tension wire on top and bottom. This is wire rope
you thread through the top (and bottom) row of the fencing. You pull
this tight with turnbuckles and it keeps the top and bottom of the
mesh from folding over.

My garden fence has 4x4 posts on 7-8 foot centers, but I ran 1x4 rails
near the top and at the 30" line. I stapled 36" chicken wire to the
rail, and buried the bottom 6". So far so good.

HTH,

Paul