Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] S_Wear@Hotmail.com is offline

Default Help With Rotary Phone Wiring

Update: Installed and working great. Thanks again.

On May 12, 6:13 am, "Michael A. Terrell"

Thank you, gentlemen. Looking more closely at the phone, I see that
the screws to the L1 and L2 taps are backed off, so, you're right,
this is clearly where the wires lived when last the phone was used.
Also following what Bob said, I see now that there are other
components labeled from 1958, so the phone is far older than I'd
thought! I have a beige table model around in a box, too--I'll have
to see how old that one is. Probably much newer since it has a
modular jack installed already.

In any event, no rest for the weary, as the classic looks of this
almost-fifty-year-old box will keep it in my service for years to
come. I'm looking forward to hearing the melodic ring of actual bells
instead of the electronic equivalent of today's phones.

A lot of 500 series type desk phones were converted to modular when
they were sent to a service center, so the modular jack is not a real
indicator of age. Special hand operated notching tools were made to
convert the older cases to the newer configuration, and tooling was
available to covert older handsets to modular. There was a large local
company that rebuilt phones, till they had a fire that destroyed all
their inventory a few years ago. I knew the owner, and several of the
field techs that serviced business phone systems so I was in their shop
quite a few times.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell