Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.guitar.amps
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Ashdown Mag 200 bass amp

"N Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message
news

"N Cook" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote in message

"N Cook" wrote in message
Blown illumination lamp behind the retro analogue VU meter and no

other
neon
or LED to show the amp is on. It is marked R51 on the overlay and
the
schematic from Ashdown but no V or Watts. I will probably up the
dropper
and
put a blue LED in there. Anyone happen to know what sort of rating

and
voltage it was ? Connected to full + to - 15 V dc , so 30V through a
1/3W,
220 ohm dropper to this 1/2 inch long, 1/8 inch diameter wire ended
bulb.
Ohm's law fashion presumably about 30mA, 28 Volt. No chance it was a
neon
or
phospher lamp ? as it is a frosted glass bulb, so cannot see the
inside.

While at it anyone know of a better way of mounting the VU meter so

it
does
not push in if touched from the front.

--

Have not had to replace the lamp on one of these, so cannot offer any
more

store
owners that I do work for, calls them " Trashdown " ...

I currently have two of theirs in, one which requires an output
tranny,
and
the other, a mains tranny. They have both sat here for 6 months now,
waiting

Arfa

I had to replace one of the long shaft pots with a normal one with bush
nut
against the front panel. Instead of using the same normal shaft ones as
the
filter ones where the large area of mounting paxolin doess't matter as

any
strain is taken by the nuts. The long shaft ones just pass through a
plastic
sleeve in the front panel and any abuse gets passed to the paxolin to
break
easily. I would have used the normal ones throughout with bush nuts and
extended the terminals by 1/2 inch to the pcb, rather than inherently

weak
unfixed pots with long shafts.

My circular blue ring illuminator mod looked the bees' knees last night
when
I tried it in subdued light

I will bear that little 'mod' in mind in case I get one in the future. I

see
quite a lot of Trashdowns from this one particular shop, and know exactly
the meter and lamp that you refer to, but as I say, I haven't come across

an
open one yet ...

Arfa

I put a pic on here
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse:gra...net/mag200.jpg
2 LEDs either side of the static part of the movement would have been
better, more even - next time.
I suppose some would say it destroys the retro look.

I always think that the 'retro' look on these is pretty pseudo anyway, so I
don't think that what you've done detracts from the original at all.

Arfa