Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default North American wood

Charlie Self wrote:

Well, life's a wee bit funny that way. When someone asks about
availability, it tends to be because MOST someones have more than a
passing interest in buying, renting, leasing, stealing or otherwise
grabbing hold of at least some of the items they're asking about.

If you don't want it, why do you give a rat's tuchus whether or not
it's available?

The whole point of the questions, for me, was to learn more about
other types of North American woods, with the *possibility* that I
might ultimately want to use some of these things. I didn't want
to buy first, and then potentially learn the species was not suitable.

Because Walnut, Cherry, Oak, is so readily available, it's almost
like osmosis to become familiar with them. You see them all the
time--so it's easy to pick up information about them. With these
other types of woods, because they aren't as readily available to
me, I haven't learned much of anything about them.

From what I've recently learned, I may indeed want to use Beech and
Sycamore for some future projects. For the Sycamore, I'll want to
insure it has been quartersawn. Elm could come in handy as well,
but I probably won't find much due to disease. As for Willow, I
probably wouldn't want to use any of that as it sounds to be
problematic to work with.

remove ".invalid".