Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn Simon Vaughn Simon is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

"Steve Kraus" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Seems to me that having a transfer switch feed a subpanel with only certain
circuits on it is far too limiting.

"You take your choice and you pay your money." Every solution has both
advantages and disadvantages. As Iggy pointed out, sometimes a proper whole
house transfer switch can be virtually impossible without major (read expensive)
renovations.

Also, if you have any chance of a protracted outage in your area, avoid the urge
to install a large generator! You can't believe how much gas even a modest
genny can burn in a week or three. Our stationary generator is only 4 KW. We
have to live without central air, and do without our electric range, but
otherwise life in our home is just about normal. We have a window unit in our
bedroom to provide us with a cool refuge.