Paul Amaranth

Default Niagra shear

I picked up a Niagra mechanical shear at an auction the other day,
14ga x 6 ft.

This appears to be a later model since it is constructed of 3/8 sheet
metal weldments, instead of the cast iron frames of other Niagra
shears I have seen and it has a covered foot switch as an operating
control.

Does anyone know anything about these shears? Adjustment procedures?
I've found a couple of places that will regrind the knives when I need
that, but nothing else. The shear itself doesn't have any adjustment
information.

Anything special about regrinding the knives (other than needing a 6
ft grinder, that is)? If it's not too specialized, there are a couple
of places locally that could probably do that as long as I know what
to ask for.

Anyone know any history on Niagra? I found a reference that they were
bought by some holding company out of the UK, but details were skimpy.

I assume the 14ga is for mild steel, what would be reasonable for
stainless, galvanized or aluminum?

Does anyone know what that semicircular depression is for in the
middle of
the bed? That's been on every Niagra shear that I've seen.

There's no power where it's going yet, so for a while it will be
running off of a VFD fed by a 5kw generator. That should be an
interesting experiment.

TIA

Paul