Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop Charles Bishop is offline

Default Entry Door

In article , "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

There are several variations on this theme. One has three screws that
secure the top pivot to the frame from the underside of the header.

The other variation is that the upper pivot pin is spring loaded and there
is a small hole in the upper pivot that you can insert a thin pin to depress
the pivot pin and then slip the door past the upper pivot, then lift the
door off the lower pivot.

One more thing, the door will be heavy and in a stiff wind you can get into
trouble really fast.

I haven't checked this yet, but I talked to a glass company I use and this
is the skinny.

First, it's not a storm door, I'm in California, and we don't know what
those are. It's really an entry door, but it's an entry door into a lobby.
The doors, along with the glass panels on either side are called
"storefront doors"

glass
|=======glass======|-----door-----|======glass=======|

everything is Al framed, and as I mentioned, there are no hinges on the door.

The steps as relayed to me are

1. Close the door

2. Put someone on the outside of the door

3. Take off a small metal plate at the top of the door, near the pivot

4. Loosen 3 set screws

5. Thump the door from the inside and it will fall outwards

6. The outside guy catches the door, then lifts it off the bottom pivot

Work on the door

7. Reverse steps to install the door

--
charles