Posted to sci.electronics.repair
t@k t@k is offline

Default Soundlab G097F advice please.

Arfa Daily said...

First two places to look are for an external short across the output - ie a
faulty speaker or wiring whisker, or someone having driven a nail through
the speaker wire, and then look inside for an open fuse. If either supply
rail is missing, it will stay in protect. However, any sign of a fuse being
blown violently - blackened glass or metal beads - would indicate more
serious trouble in the output stages. No signs of distress at all, could
indicate a problem with the fault detect / relay drive circuit itself, or
even possibly something as simple as a bad joint. What is your level of
experience at working on this type of equipment, and what test equipment do
you have ?

Arfa

Thanks for your reply Arfa.

I am an electrician by trade, but I have a basic knowledge of
electronics although I only have a half decent multi-meter to hand.

The fault persists with the speakers disconnected which themselves show
no evidence of shorting,both the two glass fuses on the circuit board
are fine and ther is no visual signs of overheating that I can see.

The cooling fan comes on immediately at power on, but my neighbour
insists this has been so since purchase.

One thing I have found, is the sensor on the heat-sink is closed circuit
in the amp's present state (cold) - should this be the case?

(Sensor at bottom left corner of image 5 at
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/fayd2gray/G097F)
--
t@k
(Invalid return address. Please reply to newsgroup).