Posted to alt.home.repair
Abe Abe is offline

Default air conditioner circuit breaker trips

I live in Dallas and the weather has been very nice until today. Today I
decided to use the central A/C, the unit ran without incident for maybe 20
minutes than the circuit breaker tripped. I reset the breaker and 10 minutes
later again the circuit breaker tripped (The a/c was cold before the breaker
tripped and returned cold after I flipped the breaker). What is going on
here?

I believe I have a heat pump unit (you know the one that gets cold but not
as cold as someone with a regular unit). Thanks in advance.

================================================= ==============
My mom lived in a condo before her death. The second year that she lived there,
the central A/C unit would pop the breaker 2 or 3 times a day. I would have to
go over there and reset it for her. The A/C was freezing cold, and I saw no
reason for the breaker tripping. It followed no pattern--sometimes it would run
for 10 minutes and trip, and other times a few hours. I finally got fed up of
going over there multiple times a day, and got another double pole 30 amp
breaker, and installed it--problem solved--it never tripped again--some breakers
do get weak. Try a new breaker.

Right. It's either a bad breaker, or something in the electrical
innards of the AC unit. Replace the breaker first. If that doesn't
solve it, time to call an A/C repairman.