Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb Tim Lamb is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

In message , The Reid
writes
On Fri, 11 May 2007 11:16:33 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

A really corageous government would enforce the law better and get that 15%
off the roads.

most people have enough sense to know that driving at 85 on a motorway
isnt a problem.

Maybe.

If you change to that, what about other dual carriageway roads?

However an upper speed limit is always going to be a compromise. To an
extent the snow/fog/spray issues are covered by illuminated speed
reduction signs but you still have traffic density, inexperienced
drivers, elderly drivers, poorly maintained vehicles etc. creating
unexpected hazards on otherwise safe roads.

I think 70 is a sensible compromise: giving reasonable fuel economy,
within reach of most passenger vehicles currently on the road, realistic
journey time (I remember fuel emergency speed limits) and still giving
protected occupants a chance of survival in a *same direction* shunt.

I suppose I am too old to enjoy high speed and certainly never consider
speed as a factor in actual journey time. Would an extra 15 mph have a
significant impact on anything other than door to door motorway travel
after midnight?

I had begun to think that modern motorists had realised the futility of
selfish road use with less high speed tailgating and an increase in
courtesy. Railing against enforcement rather than campaigning for
sensible change causes doubt:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb