Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:37:14 +0100, Tony Williams wrote:

Also needed to spend as little time as possible alongside that huge
artic, or bus, doing 65+.

The only time I come across an artic doing more than 60 is down hill and
then most will also be braking to control the speed. Only the very rare
one will thunder on at 60+. Bear in mind that on a motorway I have almost
invariably got the cruise set to 62mph (handy mark at 100kmh) as that is
the sort of speed my motor is happy to bowl along at. So I have a pretty
good idea at how fast the heavies are going...

Buses and coaches on the other hand seem to disregard any rules or speed
limits.

They are not physically limited. Artics are, and they have a LOT of
drag, so that it is hard for them to do more than the 56mph they are
supposed to be set to.