Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hot air guns and soldering copper pipes

In article .com,
wrote:
Does anyone know if electric hot air guns like this:

are any good for soldering copper pipes?

Why do you think it would be?

What are advantages/disadvantages over propane blowtorch ?

The disadvantage is it won't melt solder.

I will be laying new CH piping and want to get proper tool for the
job.

Then use what everyone else uses - a blowlamp. The electric clamp types
are near useless too.

Your only real decision is which blowlamp to buy. If you will use one a
lot, then the type with a separate gas cylinder and a hose to the torch is
more expensive but cheaper to run.

For just this job and occasional blowlamp tasks there's a vast range. I'd
go for one where the re-fills are readily available.

Looks to be good value for the cost of replacement canisters and they
appear to be a standard type.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.