Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default hot air guns and soldering copper pipes

On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:03:23 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cicero wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2007 02:58:35 -0700, maciej.olchowik wrote:

Hi all,

Does anyone know if electric hot air guns like this:

are any good for soldering copper pipes? What are
advantages/disadvantages over propane blowtorch ? I will be laying new
CH piping and want to get proper tool for the job.

thanks for your help

===================================
One of these or very similar can be bought from almost any DIY /
Hardware shop including B&Q, Wickes etc. Refills are available:

http://www.toolstation.com/search.ht...hstr=blow+lamp

They're quite suitable for most basic plumbing applications but may not
be powerful enough for large runs of copper pipe which tends to
dissipate heat too efficiently.

The very one I use. Good bit is you can get the gas cartridges almost
everywhere. You will probably find a heat resistant soldering mat useful
as well
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...ng+mat&x=8&y=6

Don't buy the cheap one - they fall apart after a few use's.

A bit of light gauge mild steel ( 20g - about 9" square) is a suitable
alternative. It can be bent to any convenient shape to reflect the
heat and lasts for years.

Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux