Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Totally OT - Highway Question - Is 100 Metres Enough

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from John Rumm contains these words:

Same energy, since that is the speed the bulk of the traffic is moving
at now anyway.

ISTR that it used to be the case before the Nanny State got serious that
the Authorities wouldn't countenance a speed restriction unless 85% of
the traffic was already going that slow. A courageous Government could
reverse this criterion and go for raising limits where more than 15% of
traffic habitually exceeded the limit outside camera zones. As far as
motorways are concerned I am not at all sure that 85 mph is actually
high enough to bring 85% within the law. 90 mph might.

A really corageous government would enforce the law better and get that 15%
off the roads.
This would get rid of most of the really bad drivers that ignore all the
rules and make life much easier for the rest of us.
More average speed cameras is what is need to do that.
Or in car monitoring.

Personally I would go for unlimited on decent sections of motorway.

Construction of a good proportion of our motorway network was actually
started before the blanket limit came into force and and I doubt if the
basic design concepts have changed since that temporary limit was
introduced so all motorways should be good for derestricted motoring.
Unfortunately by now we have 2 generations of motorists who are
habituated to restrictive limits and might go wild if the limits were
removed completely rather than gradually increased.

I did make a suggestion (not entirely tongue in cheek) a few years back
that in an effort to make drivers more responsible the Minister of the
day should enter into a pact with the car driving population that for
every year the accident rate on the various classes of rural roads
(single carriageways, dual carriageways and motorways) decreased the
rural limits should be raised by 5 mph as a reward for good behaviour.
Obviously accidents involving the criminal classes (joyriders and the
like) and police cars would have to be excluded as neither are going to
take any notice of speed limits whatever they are set at. Slow speed
accidents (the majority) have no bearing on speed limits either but the
idea was to provide an incentive to improve driving standards at all
speeds, not just the higher range.

See even you think 100% enforcement of the speed limits would be good as it
gets rid of the criminals.