Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hot air guns and soldering copper pipes

In article .com,
writes:
Hi all,

Does anyone know if electric hot air guns like this:

are any good for soldering copper pipes?
What are advantages/disadvantages over propane blowtorch ?
I will be laying new CH piping and want to get proper tool for the
job.

I did all mine (up to 28mm copper) with a £10 blowtorch,
and it worked no problem at all. I can't imagine a hot air
gun will have the power or ability to concentrate the heat
where you want it (or the ability to see where the heat is
going at all).

--
Andrew Gabriel