David W.E. Roberts

Default where to buy washed sharp sand?

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
m...
snip
There are two types of sand: bricklaying sand which is very fine and
plastering sand which is larger. (There is also a concrete grade but
it isn't really sand.) Get the coarser of the sand from your
builder's. It will be local and cheaper than the bagged stuff from a
warehouse.

snip

Be warned - there are at least three grades.
We had a problem when we ordered plastering sand - the sand delivered
included very small stones (around 1-2mm) and was totally unsuitable for
rendering.
Turned out this was a grade generally used for floor screeds.
The BM had sent the wrong kind, but it was only when we mentioned the small
stones they finally twigged what they had done.
This may be the standard 'sharp sand' which is also mixed with aggregate to
make concrete (the 'concrete grade' referred to above?).
I suspect there are regional variations as well, depending on the quarries
and local terminology.

HTH
Dave R