Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G Tom G is offline

Default Whirlpool gas dryer troubleshooting - thermostadt or gas valve???

One more question please. Am I able to bypass any of the thermostadts
or moisture sensor temporarilly in order to try and isolate the
problem?

Thanks!

The moisture sensor's second wire(if necessary) is provided I would
assume
by it being grounded to the chassis. A common problem with this dryer is
the moisture sensor becoming covered with a waxy substance from the use
of
dryer sheets. It then doesn't sense the moisture in the clothes and the
dryer goes into cool down phase. Cleaning off with alcohol solves that
problem. I would think you could check it by checking for continuity
between the sensor surface and that wire . Otherwise, I would be
suspicious
of one of the thermostats...the fact that it is getting some heat rules
out
the white sealed fuse..when that goes the burner won't come on at all.

Tom G- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Tom.

Is it true that the moisture sensor switch you're referring to would
only be applicable if I was using the moisture sensor setting? If I
set it to a standard time setting on the dial, wouldn't that disable
the moisture sensor even if it was broken? I hope I'm wrong because
that would be an easy fix.

Also, if it's the moisture sensor, could I disable it by simply
grounding the wire and then not use that setting?

Thanks!

If you use a timed setting, the moisture sensor would be out of the loop.
If it still is taking a long time to dry and not getting hot, then the
problem is not with the moisture sensor. I would look at one of the
thermostats being the culprit...not letting the dryer get up to temp..or
perhaps the temp control on the console.

Tom G