Posted to alt.home.repair
CWLee CWLee is offline

Default Closure - Garage Spring Stretching Tool?

(I'm the original poster.)

"Goedjn" wrote:

"Close the door part way, and shove sticks (wood shingle,
bits
of clapboard, or parts of a pallet) into the coils of the
spring.
Open the door all the way, and brace it. Move the springs.
Un-brace-the door, lower it, and take the sticks out."

That was the best idea I found. I did that, using nails as
the space holders, and it worked just fine. Adjustment
made.

As an aside, all four springs already had the safety devices
inside them, so this was not as risky as some feared.

Thanks to all, and especially Goedjn, for the suggestions.