Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn Simon Vaughn Simon is offline

Default Interlock locks to be used in lieu of transfer switch

"Ignoramus7204" wrote in message
My problem is that it is very difficult to place a transfer switch
properly due to location of service entrance vs. electrical panel
vs. the ceiling of the basement.

This style of transfer panel (available from 2 or 3 manufacturers) may fix that.
http://www.nbmc.com/emergen/10-7501.html

You don't have to mess with your service entrance conductors, and you can come
out the side or bottom of your electrical box.

I like mine for three reasons:
1) Since it transfers on a "per circuit" basis, I can exercise the generator on
part of my house while leaving other circuits undisturbed, still connected to
the grid. and;
2) I can unplug my main generator at any time and substitute a portable
generator, or even an inverter by simply plugging it into my transfer panel.
This feature has come in very handy twice when my (trusty, reliable, faithful?)
old Onan has died halfway through a week-long power outage. Also it gives me
the option of substituting my very frugal EU2000 during times of light load.
When you have a several-day-long outage, the cost of fuel becomes a major
consideration.
3) The built-in metering is very handy and eliminates guesswork about your
generator's load.

OK, it isn't cheap. You can't have everything! Thanks to a tip I received
right here on this group, I bought mine off a clearance table at Home Depot at
an obscene discount.

Vaughn