Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Why does my freezer require a dedicated circuit?

Mike Hartigan wrote:
I recently bought a small 7.2 cu ft chest freezer. According to the
documentation, it uses 1.6 amps at 120VAC, so it's not exactly a pig
(the energy sticker says $23/yr). I'm confused by the fact that the
instructions state that it requires a dedicated circuit. What is the
reason for that?

Like others said, it's probably more of a suggestion than code.
My whole garage is on one circuit along with 2 exterior outlets. Let's
see, 1 chest freezer, 1 refrigerator/freezer, 1 garage door opener, 1
compressor. Oh,... an electrical cord that goes to the shed next to the
garage that has all my tabletop tools; table saw, router, band saw,
drill press, etc. I blow the breakers all the time if I am not careful
to limit myself to one tool at a time. I'm in the garage at one time or
another every day, so I keep an eye on the garage door opener on the
wall to see that the little red light is still on.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY