Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael Faurot Michael Faurot is offline

Default North American wood

Charlie Self wrote:

A quick note on the woods: cherry, walnut, maple and the oaks are
reasonablys table woods; sycamore HAS to be quartersawn to be stable
(but it is gorgeous then); willow is too hard to locate in stands that
can be commercially cut, so is a local option wood . . .

Thanks for the post and all the info. This is the type of information
I was after.

So, generally, the ones you list as not found can be found, but you
have to look hard, and, in some cases, be where they are locally
available (I don't go looking for mountain laurel in the areas around
these mountains, for example).

Understood. I knew these other types of wood were out there and I
could get some if I really wanted. But I was more interested in
the background of why things like Cherry/Walnut/Maple/Oak were more
predominately available than stuff like Willow/Elm/Sycamore. Thanks
again for all the background info.

remove ".invalid".