Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Correct speed for rotary lawnmower engine?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Whe I used it today for the first time this season I had a feeling the
engine might be running a little slower than it had in the past, as I
seemed to be walking "less fast" to keep up with it.

Are you sure the self propelling drive is not slipping?

I doubt that Ed, there's only one belt between the engine shaft and the
worm gear reduction box on the front axle.

That belt is tighter than a bull's arse in fly season.

My Toro mower is about 30 year old now. It's original Tecumsah engine
wore to the point where you could barely feel any compression when
pulling it over, so I replaced it about six years ago with the present
B&S which I ordered from Northern Tool.

I figger that if I'm faithfull to my tools and maintain them they'll
respond in kind, and from what I can see, my old Toro mower is built a
lot sturdier that the crap on sale now. Same goes for my Airen's
Sno-Thro, "The widow maker"* which just completed its 42nd winter
clearing our driveway.

Jeff

* So named by me because it's totally devoid of any of those "safety"
features Airen's has been blackmailed into adding to their machines by
legions of scumbag lawyers. (Just my .02)

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)