Posted to alt.home.repair
wklkj wklkj is offline

Default Whirlpool gas dryer troubleshooting - thermostadt or gas valve???

Hello. I've got a Whirlpool gas dryer, Ultimate care II with the
moisture sensor, about 15 years old. I've read some troubleshooting
messages and I've looked at some online parts ordering websites that
give me diagrams of my specific dryer.

Problem: The dryer works but is very slow to dry clothes. There is
absolutely no obstructions in the ductwork or the internal, dryer
ductwork. I've laid the dryer down on the front side and removed the
back panel. I've opened up the internal ductwork and can see that it
is clean.

By the way, although it seems it's getting warm while running, it
definitely is not getting to normal heat temperature.

Looking at the diagrams from online, I see a few items that may be the
culprit but I don't know for sure.

First, there's a fuse (white, sealed plastic). I checked continuity
and it's fine.
There's a safety high heat thermostadt on the heat duct coming from
the gas heat source and then there's another thermostadt on the fan
blower housing that I think is the 'regular' thermostadt. I've
checked continuity on both of these. The safety thermostadt indicates
good but the regular thermostadt only moves the continuity meter over
half way. Hmmm.

There's a moisture sensor that totally confuses me because there's
only one wire going to it. I don't understand that logic.

Finally, theres talk on line about a gas supply valve or something. I
haven't been able to find that.

Any ideas on what I should replace first? I've got a local parts
supply house and none of the parts seem very expensive. The dryer
works great (except for now) and I hate to throw it out and spend $500
to $600 when it's only a $20 part to fix it.

By the way, the gas supply line is providing gas at normal pressures.
I checked to make sure none of the shutoffs were partially closed.

One more question please. Am I able to bypass any of the thermostadts
or moisture sensor temporarilly in order to try and isolate the
problem?

Thanks!